||Seiichi Matsuo, President
||Masayoshi Maeshima, Vice-President
||Naoshi Sugiyama, Dean and Professor, Graduate School of Science
Planning Committee Members
- Coordinator: Naoshi Sugiyama, Dean and Professor, Graduate School of Science
Member, Education and Research Council (Nagoya University). Winner of the Astronomical Society of Japan’s Hayashi Chushiro Prize and the JSPS Prize for his work in theoretical astrophysics, specifically the elucidation of the physical processes of cosmic microwave background radiation. Member of the Science Council of Japan.
- Education Program: Jiro Nemoto, Professor, Graduate School of Economics
Member, Education and Research Council (Nagoya University).
- Admission and Carrer Support: Yoshinori Hasegawa, Professor, Graduate School of Medicine
Vice-dean, Graduate School of Medicine, and Presidential Advisor (Nagoya University).
- Industrial Relations: Akira Fujimaki, Professor, Graduate School of Engineering
Vice Trustee (Nagoya University).
- International Relations: Manabu Matsunaka, Associate Professor, Graduate School of Law
Steering Committee Members (External)
- Sekiya Asano, President, Tokai Television Broadcasting Co., Ltd.
Graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in law from the Faculty of Law, Keio University. After joining Tokai Television Broadcasting he held positions as Planning Bureau Director, Tokyo Branch Office Director and Broadcasting Production Bureau Director before taking up his current role. Director of the Japan Commercial Broadcasters’ Association.
- Sumio Iijima, Distinguished Invited University Professor, Nagoya University Institute for Advanced Research
- Professor at Meijo University, Former Director of the Nanotube Research Center at the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Senior Research Fellow at NEC Corporation. Member of the Japan Academy. Awarded the Order of Culture by the Government of Japan.
- Hideaki Omura, Governor, Aichi Prefecture
Graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in law from the Faculty of Law, The University of Tokyo. After working in the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, he was elected to the House of Representatives and worked as Senior Vice Minister of Health, Labour and Welfare before taking up his current role. Published works include Senryaku naki seiji wo kiru (Slaying Politics Without Strategy [Shogakukan Creative, 2010]).
- Fumio Kawaguchi, Counselor, Chubu Electric Power Co., Inc.
Graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in commerce from Waseda University. Joined Chubu Electric Power, working as Materials and Equipment Department Chief, Nagoya Branch Director, Chairman, and President before taking up his current position. He is the Honorary Chairman of the Chubu Economic Federation, and Honorary Consul of the Federal Republic of Germany in Nagoya.
- Takashi Kawamura, Mayor, Nagoya City
Graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in commerce from the Faculty of Commerce and Management, Hitotsubashi University. Elected to the House of Representatives before taking up his current role. Published works include Fukkozozei no Wana (Taxation Trap: The Truth behind Tax Increases for Post-Disaster Recovery [Shogakkan, 2011]).
- Takuo Kidokoro, Former Ambassador of Japan to Mongolia
Graduated from the School of Language and Culture Studies, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, with a Bachelor’s of Arts degree. Also holds an Honorary Doctorate in Economics and an Honorary Doctorate in Diplomatic Studies. After working as the Director of the Non-Governmental Organizations Assistance Division in the Economic Cooperation Bureau at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Japanese Consul General in St. Petersburg, and Ambassador of Japan to Mongolia, he retired from service. Today, he is a visiting professor at the Saint-Petersburg State University of Engineering and Economics and also a visiting professor at the Mongolian University of Arts and Culture.
- Nobuaki Koide, President, The Chunichi Shimbun
Graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in politics from the School of Political Science and Economics, Waseda University. Worked as a London correspondent, Local News Section Chief in the Nagoya Office, the Editorial Office Chief, and Director of the Tokyo Office before taking up his current role. Published works include Nyusu wo kue: Henshukyoku desuku kara (Eating News: From the Editorial Desk) [The Chunichi Shimbun, 2010]).
- Akihiko Saito, Counselor, Denso Corporation
Graduated with a Doctorate in Engineering from the Graduate School of Engineering, Nagoya University. Worked at Toyota Motor Corporation as Chief Engineer for the Product Planning Department, as General Manager of Development Center 1, as Executive Vice President and as Senior Advisor/Corporate Auditor, before taking up the role of President at Denso Corporation prior to his current position.
- Altantuya Jigjidsuren, ex-Vice Minister, Ministry of Health, Mongolia
Graduated with a Master’s degree of Medical Administration (MMA) having completed the medical management course at the Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya University. She took up her current position after working as the Director of the Department for Medical Economics and Technology, part of the Administrative Council for the Mongolian National Health Service, and as the Director of Department of Policy Planning in the Ministry of Health.
- Masaharu Shibata, Counselor, NGK Insulators, Ltd.
- Graduated from with a Bachelor’s degree in Law from the School of Law, Nagoya University; also holds a Nagoya University Honorary Doctorate. Took up his current role at NGK Insulators after working as Managing Executive Officer, Representative Director / President, and Representative Director / Chairman.
- Masahiro Sugiura, Distinguished Professor, Nagoya University Center for Gene Research
- Person of Cultural Merit (as designated by the Government of Japan).
- Takashi Tuchiya, President, Ogaki Kyoritsu Bank
- Graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in law from the Faculty of Law, Keio University. Held a number of positions, including Managing Executive Officer, at Ogaki Kyoritsu Bank before taking up his current position. Chairman of the Gifu Prefectural Board of Education. Chairman of Gifu Keizai University. Honorary Chairman of the Ogaki Chamber of Commerce.
- Nobumasa Tsutsui, Chairperson of the Board, Tokai Medical Products, Inc.
- Graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in economics from the School of Economics, Kwansei Gakuin University. Took up his current position after working as Representing Director / President of Tokai Koubunshi K.K. and of Tokai Medical Products. He has been awarded a number of prizes, including the Science and Technology Agency Director-General Award and the Health, Labour and Welfare Minister’s Award for Achievement in the Pharmaceutical Industry. Council Member of the Japan Society for Biomaterials, Council Member of the Japanese Society for Artificial Organs, Chairman of the Aichi Prefecture Medical Devices Manufacturers Association.
- Takayuki Hashimoto, Vice Chairperson, IBM Japan
- Graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in engineering from the School of Engineering, Nagoya University. Joined IBM Corporation, working at IBM Japan as General Manager for Global Technology Services and as General Manager, before taking up his current position.
- Seiichi Fusamura, Attorney at Law, ex-President of Nagoya High Court
- Graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in law from the Faculty of Law, The University of Tokyo. Worked as the Director-General of the Civil Affairs Bureau in the Ministry of Justice, as Presiding-Judge of Tokyo High Court, as President of Sendai High Court, and as President of Nagoya High Court before retiring. Currently a public interest member (and Acting Chairman) of the Labour Relations Committee, Tokyo Metropolitan Government, and Chairman of the Public Security Examination Commission of the Ministry of Justice.
- Toshihide Maskawa, Distinguished University Professor and Director, Nagoya University Kobayashi-Maskawa Institute for the Origin of Particles and the Universe
- Member of the Japan Academy. Member of the Science Council of Japan. Nobel Laureate in Physics. Awarded the Order of Culture by the Government of Japan.
- Kazuo Matsunaga, Chairman of the Board, Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corporation
- Graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in law from Faculty of Law, the The University of Tokyo. After entering the Ministry of International Trade and Industry, he worked as an Industry Research Analyst at the New York branch of the Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO), as the Director-General of the Natural Resources and Fuel Department at the Agency for Natural Resources and Energy, as Deputy Vice-Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, as Director-General of the Economic and Industrial Policy Bureau, and as Vice-Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry. Visiting Professor at Nagoya University.
- Moritaka Yoshida, Senior Managing Officers, Toyota Motor Co.
Graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from the School of Engineering, Nagoya University. Before taking up his current position, he worked as Chief Engineer for the Lexus Development Center, Chief Officer of the Toyota Development Center 1, and Chief Officer of the Product Planning Group.
- Ohya Takehiro, Professor of Jurisprudence, Keio University
Faculty of Law. Visiting Professor at Nagoya University where previously served as a presidential advisor.
- Fukuda Toshio, Professor, Meijo University
Department of Mechatronics Engineering (Robotics/Human Interface/Micro-Nano Robotics). Member of Science Council of Japan. Winner of IEEE Third Millennium Medal.
Steering Committee Member (Internal)
- Jun’ichi Sakuma
- Professor, Graduate School of Humanities (linguistics)
- Toru Kuginuki
- Professor, Graduate School of Humanities (Japanese linguistics, historical Japanese linguistics)
- Shigeyuki Kondo
- Professor, Graduate School of Mathematics (mathematics). Winner of the Mathematical Society of Japan Algebra Prize for his work on the geometry and automorphic forms of supersingular K3 surfaces.
- Takao Kondo
- Professor Emeritus, Graduate School of Science (temporality in biological systems). Winner of the Asahi Prize for his work on the circadian clock system.
- Taiho Sai
- Designated Professor, Institute for Advanced Research (resource and environmental economics, industrial organization theory, international economics).
- Susumu Saito
- Professor, Institute for Advanced Research (molecular catalysts chemistry, synthetic organic chemistry).
- Tatsuo Ujiie
- Dean and Professor, Graduate School of Education and Human Development (developmental psychology)
- Takashi Higashimura
- Dean and Professor, Graduate School of International Development (historical sociology)
- Takaki Miyata
- Professor, Graduate School of Medicine (cellular biology, developmental neurobiology).
- Seiichiro Watanabe
- Professor, Graduate School of Environmental Studies (planetary science).
- Yuta Sasaki
- President, Nagoya University of Economics
- Ado Yamamoto
- Chairman of the Board of Directors, Nagoya Railroad Co., Ltd.
International Advisory Board
- Matt Burney
- Director Japan, British Council
- Akasaka Kiyotaka
- President, Foreign Press Center Japan
- Kunihiko Okada
- Special Advisor, J. Front Retailing Co., Ltd
- Michael Bustle
- Director, Global Training Initiative, North Carolina State University
- Jon Turner
- Director, Institute for Academic Development, The University of Edinburgh